20.11.14

HALLWAY AND ENTRY PLANS

The last couple of weeks have been super busy and filled with everything but DIY - dinners, sleepovers, play dates, real dates...and it's been great but I'm so ready to get back to work.

We have totally neglected the hallway and entry of our new house. I think because you can go into each room, close the door, and forget about the crazy bare plaster, no organisation, piles of stuff chaos. The walls need so much prep before they can be painted so I have been majorly procrastinating - I know it's going to take so much time and produce so much dust! But because prepping and painting the walls and trim and laying the floor are on our 'finish what we started list' I have to give it a bit more attention.

The hallway started out with the same green carpet, shiny wood and bumpy wall combo that we had all over the house


and for the past year it's been looking like this:


We striped the wall paper, removed the carpets and took the door down to open the kitchen up as much as possible.

We'd love for our hall and entry to be warm and inviting but still light, clean and organised.




Now that my kids are older and out of nappies and push-chairs getting out of the house is way easier - but it's so much quicker when all the things we might need are right near the door. I also really want to make sure that there is a place for all the stuff that finds its way in and ends up on the stairs or on the kitchen counter - I made a list of everything so I can think about creative ways to store and organise them.
We're planning to add a console, a full length mirror, tons of baskets, boxes, trays and bins for storage and flowers and scented candles for good smells...I love walking into a house that smells good.

Our to-do list looks like this:
  • fill, sand and prime the walls
  • paint the walls (we're using a soft grey off white)
  • paint all the trim and doors (pure white in satin finish)
  • lay peel and stick vinyl planks on the down stairs floor
  • paint the upstairs floor white
  • paint the front door (probably dark blue)
  • strip the stairs and banister 
  • paint and stain the stairs and banister
  • add blinds to the windows
  • bring in a console table, mirror and storage 

We have all the supplies for the first five points and they're on my list of things to get done asap. and after a year of looking at dark red walls and a cracked floor I'll be so happy to open the door to a happier and cleaner entry...and then I get on the sticks in a jar flex and get this entry smellin' RIGHT. Can you tell how much I love a good smelling entry?

Is there anything you always keep right near the door to help those busy mornings go a little smoother? What's your favourite entry scent? Is it weird how much I love a good aroma? Don't answer that last one, I think I already know!


No comments:

Post a Comment