30.10.14

PROJECT ONE - ORGANISING TOY STORAGE


Although we're planning a bigger upgrade for the Trysil dressers in our living-dining room I wanted to make some quick updates to make them look and function a little better.


When we assmbled the drawers we just chucked the toys in without much organisation and it was hard for the girls to put their stuff away so that they could easily find everything again and it ended up looking like this


Time to organise!

I love the simple design of these drawers but I wasn't so hot for the grey wood effect veneer around the top and bottom of the exterior and on the bottom of each drawer.



I started by adding some washi tape - I tried gold and silver and decided on gold - it was so easy because the tape was almost the exactly the right width and I only used one roll of tape for both dressers...win!




For the bottom of the drawers I added some simple wrapping paper that the girls liked (it was £1.50 from saisburys) and attached it with Photomount.


To organise the drawers I used a mix of fabric boxes from Ikea and DIY cardboard boxes that I made from some old kraft paper files using this tutorial.





I also added a big basket I got when we first moved from Homesence for soft toys (it also hides our wireless router) and another one from Ikea to hold all the pictures the girls make until I can sort and store them.



I added a simple cardboard box for the kids drawing paper (I'd love to upgrade it for a wooden or metal one down the line) a lamp that we had on hold for our master bedroom, a marble box holding crayons and a framed picture of Misha's to the top of the dresser. I also added a little bowl for change - I find pennies everywhere so I like to have somewhere to drop them in each room (I would love to move the radiator from the adjacent wall so the dressers could be opposite the fireplace one day - then we could style them with some oversized art and a big lamp).




It makes a big difference for the girls when everything has it's place - it makes tidy-up time so much less stressful for all of us - it's something I hear all the time, and really it's a no-brainer, but I'm always surprised at how much easier 'a place for everything and everything in it's place' makes life!

Because the living-dining room is our only living space I love that when the kids are in bed the toys can be tidied away out of sight - so much better than the befores!



There are a few rouge toys that still don't have a home but 90% of the girls toys live in these drawers and 90% of the time toys end up back where they belong - and I'm loving those numbers.

For this project I used - wrapping paper, skubb boxes and washi tape that I had previously purchased for this project - and kraft paper folders, Photomount and PVA glue that I had on hand - so the cost of this project on the day was - £0 - yay! 1 down, 13 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment