7.10.14

MOODY GREY WALLS IN THE BATHROOM

We finally found a colour for the bathroom walls!

As a placeholder we had painted the bathroom with the leftover pale blue-grey we had from our temporary living room paint


And now it's a deeper, more moody grey-grey that we love


After trying out 10 or so grey testers for the bathroom and not finding one that was just right we chose Dulux Urban Obsession in Kitchen + but lightened it a shade by mixing 2 parts colour to 1 part white (for matt white I always use this B&Q paint). I think it looks similar to Benjamin Moore's Kendall Charcoal and it turned out exactly how we wanted it - deep but still fresh and without any obvious green or brown undertones. We used the finish designed for kitchens because the Bathroom + is a soft sheen finish and we both prefer matt to hide the imperfections in our 80 year old plaster - so far it's holding up fine.




I really suprised myself with this colour, I was a complete colour virgin until we moved into this house and whites and off-whites have been 100% my comfort zone for walls, furnature, fabrics - everything - until now. But I'm so glad we broke away from our norm...it makes me really excited to start adding some deeper and brighter tones into the rest of the house.   


We don't have crown molding anywhere in our house and because of that old plaster the line where the walls meet the ceiling is not very straight - so we decided to bring the white ceiling paint down the wall about an inch to create a neat line - we've done the same thing in the living room and the girl's room and I think it has helped to make the paint job look a little more finished. 

I love the contrast between the dark grey and the white tiles and trim - it's really similar to the colour of our sofa and to the mid grey we had on our whole house mood board so it has a big tick in the 'cohesive' column.


We had a casualty in the process of photographing the room - and now our light is a bit less romantic evening stroll and a bit more interrogation room...whamp whamp. But it's nothing a week of saving and a trip to Ikea can't fix and I've learned a valuable lesson that I should always remember to tighten my light fittings before I dust them.



We also swapped the sink tap for something a bit sleeker and more kid-friendly (you can see the old one below - it had little nautical knobs on the part that you turn and the girls used to say that it hurt their hands to turn the tap on and off) and brought in a simple white shower curtain.



(you can see above that we also made our first scratch in the tile paint...it's a little less noticeable in person so it's not a huge deal...but we could have totally prevented it by hanging a towel or rag over the area behind the tap)



I wish I could get a better picture of the whole room but it's so small and square it's really hard to photograph - but I think the colour looks great in person and to me it makes the room look taller, which I really love.



We'd love to do a real reno in here one day - all new everything - but for now all that's left to do is to bring in some nice storage for our everyday on display items and organise the cupboard...so close to having our first room checked off! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment